Direct mail marketing is both an art and a science. One small mistake can tank your entire marketing program.
In a blog entitled, “How to Improve Your Direct Mail Response Rate” Eve Jackson explains that direct mail marketing is only effective when you do it right. Jackson says that a major mistake marketers make is to ignore the outward appearance of the direct mail piece. According to her, you need to make sure that your mail piece doesn’t look like “junk mail” from the outside if you want people to open it. She gives the following tips to ensure this:
- Use real stamps instead of a postage meter
- Take your logo off the return address so they think it’s from a real person rather than from a business
- Address it in handwriting rather than print
- Use a different font than what’s normally used
- Make the envelope a different color than white
- Print a teaser on the envelope